Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2016

MARLIN | My Parents' Irish Wedding

Dublin, June 27, 1932. My Mom is sitting down with the bouquet. She is looking happy. My Dad stands
above her looking a bit apprehensive. My uncle Willem van Stockum sits at right; he brought the couple together. Willem was killed in 1944 in France, on duty as a bomber pilot. Dad died 1994, Mom 2006.
Willem with Dog.
My sister Brigid kindly passed on to me an album full of family photos, some of which I have never seen before. 

The photo above is the most special to me. It is the only photo of the wedding of my parents that I have seen that includes my Mom's brother Willem van Stockum, who is also shown at right. A book about World War II in Europe  has an excellent character study of  Willem–Time Bomber.




No comments:

Post a Comment